Monday, November 27, 2017

Half-deaf


Sitting at the PC last night I suddenly found that I had lost my left hearing-aid. I couldn't figure out when or where it had happened. Normally the only time it falls out is when I comb my hair, take off my glasses, pull a shirt over my head, or scratch my ear -- and I always notice at the time.

I searched all over the house, but it's a damn small thing and intended to be practically invisible for cosmetic purposes. 


I couldn't remember the last time I had actively known both were in my ears, so it could have been practically anywhere: On the lawn, when I was mulching leaves; at Whole Foods; when I was taking a blanket chest out of the car?

These things cost a bloody fortune; they're Starkeys and intended to work with an iPhone, and were about $3K apiece when I got them. Although I now have a cheaper and better source, and my health insurance covers part or most of the cost, I still didn't relish the time and money a replacement would take.

But before I called Auditory Services, I gave the car a second once-over in the light of day. And there it was, on the floor of the front passenger seat. How it got there, godnoze.

No comments: